Would Cloning Yourself Grow Your Business?
Business owners tell me: “The business would grind to a halt without me.” “I’m running around like a Nebraska Prairie Chicken with its head cut off.” (People get specific when they’re frustrated!) “I wish I could clone myself.”
I tell them: You don’t need to clone yourself. You need to complement yourself. (Not compliment. I’ll take care of that: Dear reader, I’m confident you’re good-looking, intelligent, and have minty-fresh breath.) You complement yourself with people who are great at and love doing the tasks you’re doing now. Here’s a 15-minute exercise to get started:
- Take a sheet of paper and divide it into four quadrants.
- Start at the upper left and label the quadrants, going clockwise: Love/Great, Like/Good, Don’t Like/Good, Don’t Like/Not Good
- Write at least three tasks/roles/millstones around your neck in each quadrant.
- Delegate and Elevate to an employee just one thing from the Don’t Like/Not Good quadrant.
- Jump for joy, because you just permanently solved an issue frustrating you. (And jumping’s good for your ticker.)
- When you Delegate and Elevate, it’s a win-win for you and your people: You get full control of your time, and your employees rise to higher levels of responsibility and performance. You delegate; they elevate.
Sound easy? It’s not, because every owner I’ve met has a long list of emotional and practical reasons she or he Just. Can’t. Delegate!
Full disclosure: Delegate and Elevate only works when you’ve put a solid Accountability Chart in place. When you’ve got the right people in the right seats, all of whom get, want, and have the capacity to do their five clear roles, delegation does get easier.
Stop dreaming: Nobody’s got a cloning machine. But you have a complementing machine: Delegate and Elevate. Turn it on, and soon you’ll be living the dream: Doing what you love and are great at.
Delegate and Elevate™ is part of the Entrepreneurial Operating System®: A complete, proven system with simple tools to help you do three things we call vision, traction, and healthy.
Vision, from the standpoint of first getting your leaders 100% on the same page with where your organization is going and how it is going to get there.
Traction, from the standpoint of helping your leaders to become more disciplined and accountable, executing really well to achieve every part of your vision.
Healthy, meaning helping your leaders to become a healthy, functional, cohesive leadership team because unfortunately, leaders often don’t play very well as a team.
From there, as goes your leadership team, so goes the rest of your organization.
We get to the point where your entire organization is crystal clear on your vision, all much more disciplined and accountable in executing your vision, gaining consistent traction, and advancing as a healthy, functional, cohesive team.
Call (402) 608-1608 if any of this resonates with you. I’d love to show you and your leadership team how to get vision, traction, and healthy right away.
John Fulwider is a professional EOS Implementer. gear80 provides a proven system with a complete set of practical tools to help you get three things; vision, traction, healthy.