What a fun year it has been. In 2016, Downtown Lincoln continued a period of large growth; however, one thing remains constant: our connected community. There were so many “tweetable” moments during the year, but the following garnered the most engagement from the Downtown Lincoln community making them the:
Top Ten Tweets of 2016
10. (March 11, 2016) Another beam is added to the future @Hudl Headquarters. #LNK #vision #future (Context: The $25 million Hudl expansion project is progressed through 2016. The 75,000 sq. ft. construction should finish this year.)
9. (June 27, 2016) The wait is over! Hurts Donut is having its grand opening at 129 N 10th street. #LNK (Context: The highly anticipated 24 hour donut chain opened on the first level of the Grand Manse this year.)
8. (February 12, 2016) Think the Downtown #LNK dining scene has changed since 2010? View the difference. (Context: Follow the link in the onine version of this article for an infographic of the ever changing dining scene downtown. The stats might surprise you!)
7. (May 24, 2016) A snapshot on 11th street. #LNK #DTLNK (Context: 11th street has completely changed in 2016. Four new businesses including Tic Toc Bar, Thirsty’s Sports Bar, Method Cycles & Crafthouse and Cottonwood now make up an exciting area downtown.)
6. (November 4, 2016) Block 54 will combine two hotels, upscale condos and penthouses, parking and a concept restaurant, bar and rooftop garden. #LNK #DTLNK (Context: The Block 54 announcement is exciting. The downtown landscape will change with more living options moving forward.)
5. (September 2, 2016) Street ball is coming back to downtown #LNK like it’s 1992. Register your team today. (Context: Competitive street ball was a downtown staple in 2016. The Bar hosted its last weekly 2v2 tournament in the fall as well as the first annual Railyard Rims 3v3 basketball tournament in the Railyard.
4. (August 3, 2016) Did you know renowned architect I.M. Pei designed the Wells Fargo Center in the shape of Nebraska? #funfact (Context: It’s easy to overlook some of Lincoln’s hidden gems. The Downtown Lincoln “did you know” series kicked off with a fun fact about an easily overlooked building.)
3. (November 29, 2014) Pokemon trainers, have you made it downtown yet? #PokemonGo #LNK (Context: Pokemon Go may seem like a distant trend now, but when wild Pokemon appeared on the streets of downtown, many individuals could be seen hunting for their next catch.)
2. (January 3, 2016) Honest Abe’s now open in #DTLNK! #burgersandfreedom (Context: The well-known, and highly debated best burger in town, opened their second location in downtown Lincoln.)
1. (April 14, 2016) Catch the Spring Game on the #UBTCube in the @RailyardLincoln this Saturday at 1 PM. #LNK (Context: Hundreds gathered to watch the Spring Game in the Railyard. The Cube has been an exciting addition to the downtown scene and plays movies, shows and even the sport events that aren’t scheduled for regular television programming.)
Founded in 1967, the Downtown Lincoln Association provides services and champions initiatives for maintaining and enhancing our vibrant downtown. Our vision is to create an energetic downtown environment where we live, learn, work, invest and play. DLA has evolved into a multi-faceted organization supporting a wide range of programs and activities including maintenance, economic development and advocacy.