Lincoln Orthopaedic Center has called the star city home since its inception in 1948. But, it did not start out with this name.
During the 1940’s, an orthopaedic surgeon names H. Winnett Orr made a name for himself by treating seriously infected war wounds. Because there were no antibiotics at that time, infections were a serious problem. Unlike other surgeons, Dr. Orr treated wounds by putting a series of casts on them, which would eventually heal the wounds. After the war, Dr. Orr teamed up with another innovative surgeon, J.C. Thomson, who became famous in his own right for being the first to put in a hip prosthesis. Together they went into practice in downtown Lincoln in the old Sharp’s building. Dr. Orr and Thomson were the first and third Presidents of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Dr. Orr was famous in his field and his notoriety took him around the country, giving lectures. Dr. Thomson could not handle all the patients by himself while Dr. Orr traveled, so he entered into his own practice. Dr. Orr continued to practice general orthopedic surgery as well as starting a practice dedicated to children’s ailments such as cerebral palsy, club feet and congenital deformities. The Children’s Orthopaedic Hospital, one of only eight in the country, was state sponsored and provided residents from around the country to rotate through and run the facility. The hospital operated from the 1940’s until its closure in 1971. After the closing of the children’s hospital, two orthopedic offices started by Dr. Orr and Thomson remained in Lincoln – the Lincoln orthopedic and Fracture clinic and the Lincoln Orthpedic and Rehabilitation Center. In January of 1954 Lincoln Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Center moved from the Sharp’s Building to a new location at 1000 South 13th and remained there until the practice moved to 6900 A Street in 1994. The name was changed to Lincoln Orthopaedic Center, P.C. (LOC) in 1997. In 1999, Lincoln Orthopaedic Center added the LOC Surgery Center, a two surgical suite ambulatory surgery center to round out their comprehensive services. The Center employs nine surgeons who specialize in sports medicine, joint replacement, spine, hand, shoulder and general orthopaedics. They also feature a team of physician assistants, nurses, athletic trainers and skilled professional staff, all devoted to providing specialty care for musculoskeletal diseases and injuries.
The surgeons at LOC are extremely busy with their thriving practice, but always make time to get involved with the community. The surgeons serve on a variety of community boards as well as providing sports coverage for several high school football games. LOC surgeons are also the official team physicians for the Wesleyan, Concordia, Doane as well as the Lincoln Saltdogs and Lincoln Stars Hockey.
They also provide medical education to the Lincoln Family Practice program, physician assistant programs, nursing programs, church and community groups. Staff members at Lincoln Orthopaedic Center are also encouraged to be active in community groups and organizations. LOC is one of the largest corporate blood donors for the Community Blood Bank.
Orthopaedics is a dynamic and ever-changing field and, as the most established practice in the area, Lincoln Orthopaedic Center has continually provided Lincoln, and the surrounding area, with stat of the art orthopaedic care. Adapting from the days when orthopaedics involved no surgery at all, to general orthopedic surgeries that were invented decades ago to current practices, such as arthroscopic and minimally invasive surgery, LOC has kept abreast of new technology and practices. The future will certainly bring more changes as technology improves at sometimes astonishing leaps, bringing about possibilities of new genetic treatment and more specialized surgical treatments.
The surgeons from Lincoln Orthopaedic Center also foresee more outreach work in their future. They currently do work in Auburn, Seward, Beatrice, York, Crete, Nebraska City, Tecumseh, Wahoo and Marysville, KS, communities too small to have their own orthopaedic surgeons. Lincoln Orthopaedic Center has provided unrivaled services to the community for almost sixty years. From a post-war practice that focused on straightening bones with splints and rehabilitation to the cutting edge of technology, the Lincoln Orthopaedic Center has proven itself to be one of Lincoln’s most well-established and accomplished medical facilities.
Contact Lincoln Orthopaedic Center at (402) 436-2000 on the web at http://www.ortholinc.com/