John Fulwider: gear80 – Would Cloning Yourself Grow Your Business?
Business owners tell me:
- “The business would grind to a halt without me.”
- “I’m running around like a Nebraska Prairie Chicken with its head cut off.” (People get specific when they’re frustrated!)
- “I wish I could clone myself.”
I tell them: You don’t need to clone yourself. You need to complement yourself.
You complement yourself with people who are great at and love doing the tasks you’re doing now. Here’s how:
- Divide a sheet of paper into four quadrants.
- Start at the upper left and label the quadrants, going clockwise: Love/Great, Like/Good, Don’t Like/Good, Don’t Like/Not Good
- Write at least three of your regular tasks in each quadrant.
- Delegate and Elevate to an employee just one thing from the Don’t Like/Not Good quadrant.
- Jump for joy, because you just permanently solved an issue frustrating you. (And jumping’s good for your ticker.)
When you Delegate and Elevate, it’s a win-win for you and your people: You get full control of your time, and your employees rise to higher levels of responsibility and performance. You delegate; they elevate.
Sound easy? It’s not, because every owner I’ve met has a long list of emotional and practical reasons she or he just. Can’t. Delegate. And while I’ve got the most amazing executive assistant I’ve ever had, I still struggle to let go of even routine client-facing emails. I’m right there with you.
Full disclosure: Delegate and Elevate only works when you’ve got a solid Accountability Chart in place. Delegation’s really only possible when you’ve got the right people in the right seats, all of whom Get, Want, and have the Capacity to do their five clear roles.
Back to cloning yourself. Nobody’s got a cloning machine. But you have a complementing machine: Delegate and Elevate. Turn it on, and soon you’ll be doing what you love and are great at.
Delegate and Elevate is part of the Entrepreneurial Operating System®: A complete, proven system with simple tools to help you optimize the Six Key Components™ of your business.
I’ll give you tools to get started this month at my workshop,“Get a Grip on Your Business.”
When: Wednesday, July 25, 7:30 a.m. – 9 a.m. | Where: Resonator
Gallery, 2124 Y St. | To Register: gear80.co/workshop