HopeSpoke (hopespoke.org) knows back to school can be a stressful time for kids, which is why the organization offers a short video by Outpatient Therapist Cambria Beirow, MA, PLMHP (they/them) with advice on easing the transition back to school. Here are a few tips:
- Model calm behavior. Ask your child what they are anxious about, and talk about what to expect. Establish a daily goodbye ritual as a signal your child is safe and loved.
- Start a routine. Changes to the daily routine will run more smoothly if practiced a few days ahead of time.
- Get to know the environment. Visit your school’s open house or back to school night, read the welcome letter with your child, or reach out directly to your child’s new teacher.
- Sleep! A full night’s sleep is the foundation for a productive day for your children – and for yourself, too.
- Cambria also shares a mindfulness exercise to practice with your child as a way to focus on the present rather than obsessing over the past or worrying about the future.
- Watch HopeSpoke’s back-to-school video at youtu.be/8PtWZwK-4DA.
HopeSpoke serves children and teens with comprehensive mental health services, including therapists who work within Lincoln Public Schools. For more information about how HopeSpoke can help your student this school year, talk with your school’s social worker or contact HopeSpoke at (402) 475-7666 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more at hopespoke.org.