Medicaid Expansion in Nebraska
Nebraska is expanding its Medicaid program to include adults aged 19–64. The new program is called Heritage Health Adult. Those with income at or below 138% of the Federal Poverty Level may qualify for benefits. Assets are not considered in determining eligibility.
When a new or updated enrollment is submitted through the Health Insurance Marketplace, the applicant will be referred to the Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services for a determination of Medicaid eligibility if their income falls within the guidelines. Anyone that becomes eligible for Medicaid will not be eligible to receive a Premium Tax Credit through the Marketplace.
Those who are offered health insurance through an employer plan may also be eligible for Medicaid benefits when the income guidelines are met. The affordability of the employer plan may be a factor in determining benefit levels.
Benefits are available beginning October 1, 2020. Applications are being accepted now.
Ways to apply:
- Online at dhhs.ne.gov/pages/accessnebraska.aspx
- By phone at (855) 632-7633
- Via paper application which can be found online at dhhs.ne.gov/Pages/ACCESS-Nebraska-Printable-Applications.aspx
- Contact a local DHHS office
Here are some helpful links:
- Medicaid Expansion in Nebraska—dhhs.ne.gov/Pages/Medicaid-Expansion.aspx
- Heritage Health Adult Basic and Prime Benefits—dhhs.ne.gov/Pages/Basic-Prime-Benefits.aspx
- Heritage Health Adult Frequently Asked Questions—dhhs.ne.gov/Documents/Heritage%20Health%20Adult%20Expansion%20FAQs.pdf#search=heritage%20health%20adult
Add $6,182 for each additional household member.