NAM Celebrates 10 Years of Summit With 10 Facts About Nonprofits
The Nonprofit Association of the Midlands (www.nonprofitam.org) is celebrating the 10th year of its Nonprofit Summit of the Midlands.
The theme of this year’s Summit, which will be held Thursday, November 3, is “Who’s Telling Your Story?” NAM helps more than 330 charitable organizations in Nebraska and Western Iowa with the tools they need to tell their story.
With the 10th annual Summit approaching, NAM wants everyone to know 10 facts about nonprofits:
- The nonprofit sector is Nebraska’s third-largest industry. In Nebraska, 1 in 11 people work for a nonprofit.
- One-third of the nonprofits in Nebraska are human services organizations. Another 14 percent are health care.
- More than three-quarters of the nonprofit employees in Nebraska—82 percent—live outside of Douglas and Lancaster Counties, the state’s two largest metro areas.
- According to Giving USA, charitable donations reached $373.25 billion in 2015, an all-time high. Individual giving was up four percent.
- In 2014, 25 percent of adults nationwide volunteered with a nonprofit organization. In Nebraska, 36 percent did so. Nebraska ranks seventh in the nation in volunteering.
- As of 2013, there were 1.41 million nonprofits registered with the IRS. 66 percent of those had expenses of $500,000 or less, qualifying them as small nonprofits.
- As in Nebraska, 35 percent of all charitable organizations nationwide are human services-focused. Educational organizations are second, and health care third.
- In 2012, nonprofit organizations employed 11.4 million people in the U.S., which represented 10.3 percent of all private employment.
- December is the most popular month for giving. Donors gave the least on July 5, according to an online giving report issued in July.
- Every Nebraskan uses a nonprofit every day.
This year’s Nonprofit Summit of the Midlands has two keynote speakers. It’ll be held at the Embassy Suites La Vista Conference Center.
Click this link to see all of Nonprofit Association of the Midlands News & Info on Strictly Business